Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What's an artist?

I've been thinking about the term "artist" lately.

Brodi and I went to a huge art show in Indy this past weekend and enjoyed looking at "art". 

We loved some, admired some, questioned some, and laughed at some (respectfully when we walked away of course).

When people ask what I do for a living, my first response is that I'm a mom.  But, I also say

"I make handstamped jewelry" OR "I have a small jewelry company."

 My response has never been

"I am a jewelry artist." 

The word artist seems to be reserved in my mind for a super creative artsy person who paints and gets away with wearing bandanas with vintage mini-skirts with a side ponytail and ray-bans. 

I, on the other hand, have to trade out my Vera Bradley bookbag purse when I go out for a bachelorette party so I don't look too "momish" and taking fashion risks involves throwing a braid in my hair.    

[Brodi and I call the pouty lip self-portraits "duck face", although she has it mastered way better than I do.]

However, after looking around for a few hours at the art fair, I started to reevaluate the term "artist". 

I cut silver, stamp it, use a torch on a daily basis to solder, polish, wrap wire, and design new pieces.  Oh, and starting tomorrow I will be using a kiln. 

Yeah, a kiln, like what our art teachers had when we were in 3rd grade.  

I think just owning a kiln might make me an artist, right? 

 GORGEOUS  pottery by Staci DeBolt that can be found HERE.  Now that girl is an artist :)


So, I'm feeling a little more like an artist now, but I don't know if I'll be printing up any "Jewelry Artist" business cards anytime soon.

Maybe it will depend on how often I use this new kiln. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...